Friday, December 7, 2007

The stereotypical asian nerd and the cool hip-hop black guy

The stereotype that all Asians are super smart and usually rich has lingered in my mind since I knew Asian people. Coming to college has really changed my perception of that stereotype and Asian people in general. I really believed in high school that Asians were either smart or a racing fanatics (fast and furious). The martial art stereotype wasn't real to me to Jet Li and Jackie Chan seemed far fetched for ordinary Asian kids. The cool hip-hop black guy stereotype made me laugh because it does have a ring of truth to it. Most of the black guys I knew in high school were cool guys that played sports and listened to hip-hop, but they were listening to hip-hop with their white and Hispanic teammates. That is why I found humor in our class discussion. The Asian stereotypes that where said by my classmates are thoughts that everyone knows is false.

No comments: