Friday, December 7, 2007

A Girl Like Me Reflection

The girl like me documentary was very enlighten and sad. The young teen who created the film was very smart to dig deep into children's psyche. The saddest scene is when a little black girl was asked which doll is the nice doll and she chose the white one, holding it up with a smile. When asked which doll is bad she pointed at the black one, when later asked which one represents or resembles you she sadly slides the black doll in shame. It made me want to cry and inspired me to teach my children in the future that no color of skin or doll is better than another. Being an African-American woman I never really felt inferior as a child, but I also have a very strong sense of who I am, as I got older I did realize the world is a cruel place that does judge. People honestly believe that people are inferior because of their skin color.

No comments: